Thursday, October 17, 2013

Chalk Ridge Falls Part II (March 24, 2013)

After having such a great time 2 days before when we went on a hike at Chalk Ridge Falls, we decided we wanted to go again... this time with Dad and with our neighbors the Franklin's.  They knew of a different path that we hadn't taken the first time.

We quickly came upon this hill, and even the picture doesn't do it justice!  When I say this hill went straight up, I mean STRAIGHT up!


The mom in me got a little nervous as the kids were quickly climbing to the top with Nathan.  Everything in me wanted to call them back down, but I didn't want to be the "party pooper."  I DID call Gaven back down, though.

It wasn't long after that last picture that I warned the older boys that if they slip coming down, to lean back into the hill.  Braeden did just that and slipped at the very top.  He tried to do the only thing his body would let him do and run it out, however, with this hill, there was NO WAY!  I had Kammy on my back and there was nothing I could do other than watch him careening down the hill, not able to save himself.  He fell face first into the rocks and somehow came to a stop about 2/3rds of the way down.  I have no idea how Nathan got down the hill so fast, but by the time Jason made it to him and was trying to stabilize him (unaware of his injuries), Nathan was by his side!

(I did not start taking pictures until we knew that he was going to be okay) 

He managed to escape with a gash in his head (that we didn't get stitches for), scrapes, bruises and a VERY sore body!)

There's not a time that I don't think about this event, now that's it's been 7 months later, and I don't thank the Lord that he is alive!  I have no doubt that there are many kids that would not have survived the fall that Braeden took.

We gathered our things and headed home (a bit bummed that our hike ended as quickly as it began), but thankful, nonetheless!


All washed up.

He now has just a scar and bad memories from that hike.  I think it will be a while before Braeden is climbing any steep, rocky hillsides... not just because it terrifies him now, but this Momma might just not let him!

No comments: