Friday, October 25, 2013

Yep, it's broke! (September 14, 2013)

We attended a church activity at the park called the Steak Fry.  After eating, Gaven and Braeden asked if they could go over to the playground.  The rest of us stayed to have dessert.  Not more than 5 minutes later (I was still getting my dessert), a mother came running over from the playground saying that one of the little boys broke his arm.  I turned to look, of course hoping that I wouldn't see Braeden or Gaven, and the first thing I saw was a man carrying Gaven over.  He was hard to miss because he was dressed in all black.  He had fallen trying to make it to the first bar of the monkey bars.  Then I thought, "Well, maybe he just hurt himself bad, how can they be sure it's broken?"  I took one look at him and I knew it was broken.  We quickly rounded up the kids, had offers from a couple awesome individuals to keep the other kids, and were on the road to Children's Hospital in Dallas.

Jason carried him in while I parked and when I got inside, this is what I found:


Poor little guy was being SOOO tough!

They admitted him pretty quickly because luckily they weren't too busy.  We had a long wait ahead of us since he had eaten a full dinner just 15 minutes before he broke his arm and he was going to have to have sedation in order for them to set it.

It was nice that it as a Saturday night... Gaven told us he wanted to watch football... so football it was!

When we took off his shoes, we realized he had brought 1/2 the park with him!

I have about 5 pictures where as soon as I pointed the camera at him, he broke out in his biggest, cheesiest grin.

After x-rays, it was confirmed that he had a complete break of both the bones in the forearm.

This is probably the best picture of the "S" shape of his arm, although it still doesn't do it justice!



When they came and put his IV in, the nurse told him that he was like Iron Man now... So here's our little Iron Mann, fascinated with his new abilities.



Boy was I ever grateful that Jason was there with me!  Not only because he's a Doctor and can help to explain to Gaven exactly what they're going to do, but he just has a way of telling him that helps to calm him and not scare him.  It was cute to just sit back and listen to their conversations!

So, I lied!  This is probably the best picture of the "S" shape!

Here we are just before midnight, after they rolled us into one of the procedure rooms.  We got to stay here with him until the anesthesia knocked him out.  Jason prepared me that his eyes might not close, and they didn't... it was really pretty funny.

We waited just outside for about 20-25 minutes and then they brought us back in.  He was still very groggy and waking up.  They gave him a special cast with a slice down it and spacer blocks that allowed for it to expand as needed over the next 7 days to allow for swelling.

He had been SOOOOOOO thirsty, and now he could finally have something to drink!

Along with a red popsicle that one of the sweet nurses fed to him!

We got a sling all fitted and we were just about ready to go.

The walk to the car was quite humorous!  Jason and I had to hold him under each of his armpits because he was so unstable on his feet.  Jason was having back issues and I could only carry him for 1/2 the way!  Our night quickly turned "not so humorous" again as I backed my car into a cement pillar in the parking garage!  Ugh!!  The memories we will have from September 14, 2013!

No comments: